DETROIT – Lutz Real Estate Investments and Northern Equities Group have completed the $ 70 million Albert Kahn building in Detroit into an apartment building called The Kahn Apartments. The 11-story 320,000-square-foot office building was designed by famed architect Albert Kahn by The Fisher Brothers. It first opened its doors in 1931 and was later listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This building has housed Kahn’s architectural office for 90 years, and was once the ground floor of Sachs Fifth Avenue.
The building now has 206 apartments ranging from 530 to 1,317 square feet. The penthouses have internal stairwells. The Kraemer Design Group designed the interiors and paid tribute to the building’s Art Deco architecture. Amenities include a work area and library, as well as a media room with large-screen TVs. There is also a pet spa, a 3,000 square foot fitness center and an outdoor rooftop terrace. Farmington Hills’ Bezak will act as a property manager. Monthly rentals start at $ 1,535.
The Fischer brothers built bodies for new car manufacturers in the early 1900s. General Motors acquired their company in 1926. The brothers left GM in 1944 to pursue other interests, including the construction of the Fischer Building on West Grand Boulevard.