Select’s editorial team works independently to analyze financial products and write articles that we believe will be useful to our readers. We may receive a commission when you click on links to our affiliate partners’ products.
Applying for a personal loan can seem like a shot in the dark, especially when you credit rating not ideal. Although there are dozens of personal loan lenders, not every bank will lend you the amount of money you need with the right repayment plan to suit your budget.
OneMain Financial offers four different expiration dates, giving eligible borrowers the ability to repay money within 24, 36, 48 or 60 months. Therefore, we ranked OneMain Financial as the best flexible payment lender on our list. best personal loans for bad credit history…
And while a credit rating below 670 will most often disqualify you for most private lenders, OneMain Financial does not require a minimum credit rating for applicants and even has a secured loan (with collateral) option to make borrowing more affordable.
Annual Percentage Rate (APR)
Purpose of the loan
Debt Consolidation, Basic Expenses, Emergency Expenses
Fixed rate from $ 25 to $ 400 or percentage from 1% to 10% (depending on your state)
Early payment penalty
Up to $ 30 late payment or up to 15% (depending on your state)
Find the best personal loans
OneMain Financial charges a high annual rate of 18.00% to 35.99% and there is no auto payment discount here. Compared, LightStreamfor example, offers lower rates from 2.49% to 19.99% * when you subscribe to auto payment. At the time of writing, the average interest rate on an individual loan for two years was 9.46%, according to data Fed…
The final annual interest rate you are eligible for depends on your individual loan application. Factors like credit rating, income, loan amount and loan term will be taken into account.
OneMain Financial approves candidates with a fair credit history and sometimes a bad credit history, and there is an option to apply for a secured loan when borrowers are not eligible for an unsecured loan based on their credit history.
Secured loans allow borrowers to use their vehicle equity to potentially qualify for lower interest rates. Rates, repayment terms and agreements vary depending on the person and state in which they apply.
Secured loans require a first lien on a vehicle that meets OneMain Financials’ value requirements and is listed in the name of the borrower with valid insurance. The lender holds the collateral until the loan is paid in full.
Applicants can also apply with a co-applicant or, if married, can apply for a loan separately from their spouse. However, joint signatures are not allowed.
The downside of OneMain Financial loans is the high disbursement fees ranging from $ 25 to $ 400 or from 1% to 10% (depending on your state). Fortunately, there are no prepayment fees or penalties if you want to make additional payments on your loan to pay off the balance faster.
If you want to get a loan without commission for issuing a loan, check out our best personal loans list…
Applicants seeking loans for a smaller amount can take advantage of the OneMain Financial loan which starts at $ 1,500. The maximum loan amount you can borrow is $ 20,000.
You can choose from four different deadlines (pending final approval). Borrowers can take out a OneMain Financial loan for 24, 36, 48 or 60 months.
Until Upstart loans are best suited for borrowers without credit history, OneMain Financial is a reliable option for borrowers with a fair credit history who are looking for flexible terms to choose from. But beware of commissions and interest charges with this lender: the annual interest rate is higher in the range of 18.00% to 35.99%, and creation fees can be as high as $ 400.
However, OneMain Financial could give borrowers the ability to secure their loan, potentially making it more affordable. To learn about another option for secured lending, see Loans to individuals Avant…
CONNECTED WITH: Find out more about secured and unsecured loans
Find the best personal loans
To determine which personal loans are best for consumers with bad credit history, To choose analyzed dozens of personal loans in the United States, offered both online and by conventional banks, including large credit unions. Whenever possible, we chose loans without issuing or registration fees, but we also included options for borrowers with lower credit ratings in this list. Some of these options have a creation fee.
When narrowing down and ranking the best personal loans, we focused on the following features:
- Annual interest rate: Variable rates can go up and down over the life of the loan. With a fixed annual interest rate, you fix the interest rate for the entire term of the loan, which means your monthly payment will not change, making budgeting easier.
- Flexible minimum and maximum loan amounts / conditions: Each lender provides more than one financing option that you can customize based on your monthly budget and loan repayment duration.
- No penalties for early payment: The lenders on our list do not charge borrowers for early repayment of loans.
- Streamlined application process: We looked at whether lenders offer same day approval decisions and a fast online application process.
- Support: Each loan on our list provides customer service by phone, email or secure online messaging. We have also selected lenders with an online resource center or advisory center to help you learn more about the personal loan process and your finances.
- Payment of funds: The loans on our list deliver funds quickly, either by wire transfer to your checking account or in the form of a paper check. Some lenders (which we have noted) offer the option to pay your creditors directly.
- Auto payment discounts: We’ve tagged lenders that reward you for participating in the auto payment system, reducing your annual interest rate by 0.25% to 0.5%.
- Limits on payments to lenders and loan amounts: The aforementioned lenders provide loans in various sizes from $ 1,000 to $ 100,000. Each lender announces their respective payment limits and loan amounts, and completing the pre-approval process can give you an idea of what your interest rate and monthly payment will be for that amount.
The advertised rates and commission structure for personal loans are subject to change in accordance with the Fed’s rate. However, once you accept your loan agreement, the fixed annual interest rate will guarantee your interest rate and the monthly payment will remain the same throughout the loan term. Your annual interest rate, monthly payment and loan amount depend on your credit history and creditworthiness. To take out a loan, many lenders make a serious loan request and ask for a full application, which may require proof of income, proof of identity, proof of address, and more.
Editorial note: The opinions, analyzes, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are solely owned by the Select editors and have not been reviewed, endorsed or otherwise endorsed by any third party.