More and more student loans are being canceled, but that does not mean there will be a large-scale cancellation of student loans soon.
Here’s what you need to know – and what it means for your student loans.
The cancellation of the student loan has been paradoxical lately. On the one side, President Joe Biden Cancels $ 3 Billion Student Loansand several colleges and universities have canceled student debt. For example:
President Biden Cancels Student Loans
- Biden canceled $ 1 billion student loans for 72,000 student loan borrowers.
- Biden canceled an additional $ 1.3 billion in student loans for 41,000 borrowers with full and permanent disabilities.
- Biden granted student loan exemptions to 1.1 million student loan borrowers who defaulted on their FFELP loans.
- Biden canceled $ 500 million student loan debt for 18,000 student loan borrowers under the borrower protection of student loan repayment rules.
- Biden canceled $ 55.6 million in student loans for over 1,800 students based on borrower protection to maturity, which means Biden thus canceled $ 1.5 billion…
Colleges abolish student debt
- Connecticut State Colleges and Universities (CSCU) canceled $ 17 million student debt for 18,161 college students due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- South Carolina State University canceled $ 9.8 million student debt for 2500 students.
- Dallas college canceled student loan debt for 14,000 students Over the past year… A college in Dallas, Texas has used funds from the College Emergency Fund, which is a federal stimulus fund in response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Wilberforce University, America’s oldest privately owned historically black university, canceled all student debts and school fines from both 2020 and 2021 classes. The forgiveness of this student loan has come one day after Biden refused to cancel student loan from the last federal budget…
- State University of Delaware, a public historically black university, canceled student loan debt of up to $ 730,655 for over 220 recent graduates facing financial difficulties during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Cancellation of a student loan may not necessarily happen anytime soon
On the other hand, there have been no major updates regarding the large-scale student loan cancellation. Cancellation of student loan from Biden as well as colleges and universities has been targeted student loan cancellation… This means that the student debt has been canceled in whole or in part, but only for a specific group of students or student loan borrowers. In fact, this targeted student loan cancellation is completely separate process for forgiveness reasons for a broad student loan. So the student loan debt is canceled, but that may have nothing to do with whether a large-scale student loan cancellation is implemented. Some proponents of student loan cancellation say student loan cancellation happens even if it is not ubiquitous and does not happen as quickly as some student loan borrowers prefer. Biden not only canceled student loans, but the Biden administration held a hearing on student loans that could change the future of student loan repayment and loan forgiveness… Other supporters of student loan abolition say the Biden administration did not go far enough to cancel student loans. For example, they note that canceling a $ 3 billion student loan is only a fraction of the $ 1.7 trillion in outstanding student loan debt. These student loan borrowers – along with Senator Elizabeth Warren (Massachusetts) and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (New York State) – want Biden to cancel student loans based on an executive order, for which they believe he has current legal authority.
Has student loan cancellation been canceled?
Has student loan cancellation been canceled? Some student loan borrowers definitely feel that its cancellation has been canceled. The US Department of Education is reviewing Biden’s legal authority to cancel student loans unilaterally without further congressional approval. However, the Department of Education did not make its legal recommendation. Even with a legal recommendation to cancel student loans, Biden will make the final decision on the forgiveness of student loans. If Biden cancels student loans, student loan borrowers should expect legal problems that could delay the implementation of the student loan cancellation. Potential result: Student loan borrowers remain in limbo without the aid of a student loan. Thus, as more student loans are canceled, some student loan borrowers will receive substantial student loan forgiveness. However, others may not receive widespread student loan cancellations soon.
If you have student loans, federal student loan repayments must again be due from October 1, 2021. While Biden may renew student loan relief beyond that date, there is no guarantee. Even with an extension, you should have a clear student loan repayment strategy. Here are some popular ways to save money:
Student loans: additional information
Are you ready to pay your student loans again? Elizabeth Warren Says Your Student Loan Specialist Is Not Ready